Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pepito Caguimbal, 1947-1966

The afternoon shadows were long yesterday when I started my run. The sun was low over the Santa Lucias off to the west. I ran through the Safeway parking lot and picked up the trail that runs along the north side of the Twin Creeks golf course, a broken piece of blacktop that winds its way to Laurel Drive. The branches of trees along Gabilan Creek are starting to drop their leaves in earnest now -- late in the year, but it's been a strange few years, weather-wise, confusing nature and its cycles -- and little makeshift tent and tarp shanties set up on the creek are being revealed. I hadn't realized I'd been running just a few yards from folks' humble abodes.

When I got to the Memorial, I took note of the three fir trees that have been decorated with Christmas lights and ornaments. One or more volunteers have added a touch of the Season to the hill.

This run was for Pepito Caguimbal of Castroville.

If you're wondering why Twisselman is running for these men who died in the Vietnam War, check out the blog entry here that explains it.
___________________________________________________________________________

Pepito Caguimbal
1947-1966

U.S. Army PFC Caguimbal was from Castroville. This tribute was made on his page at VVMF.org:

"I am a sophomore a Gridley High School. For a History assignment we were assigned to post remembrances for those who died serving our country in the Vietnam War. I believe all the soldiers who died for my freedom deserve recognition. This remembrance is for Pepito Caguimbal. Thank you for your devotion to America and for your commitment in securing a bright future for me. Your commitment and sacrifice are priceless. Thanks again and God Bless."- Marie Shank

No comments:

Post a Comment